The European Film Festival Day 2

Sometimes you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a great time when you go out. Today was one of those days. I went to the European film festival again and this time watched 2 movies which were both free of course :)

The Secret of Kells,  is an enchanting film that was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature this year. It tells a story of an abbey in Ireland and an adventurous boy named Brendan during the medieval times. The traditional illustrated execution, was magical and visually inspiring to me. It felt that every frame would look stunning, mounted on a wall to be adored by illustrator enthusiasts. It is said that the Celtic-Irish handpainted treatment of the illustrations were inspired by the Book of Kells itself. I definitely recommend this movie and hope that I can purchase the dvd just to see all the details again. secretofkells







The second is a 2004 film, called Nyfes or The Brides directed by Pantelis Voulgaris. What first drew me to watch this was it's executive producer, none other than Martin Scorsese. Set in 1922, it tells the journey of a greek woman bound to a new husband in America with the other 700 mail order brides from different countries sharing the same fate. During her journey aboard the SS King Alexander, she falls in love with an American photographer who is on his way home.

For this type of drama romance, I thought the dialogue fell a little short and at times felt corny. I admit I do love cheesy and simple dialogues but I prefer them in chick-flicks. In this film it didn't seem appropriate with the gravity of the premise, a tragic love story of mail-order brides. The story also had a few holes that made me a bit lost. I do think though it has potential to be something great if they added more depth into the characters and storyline, possibly similar to some of my favorite films of this genre like The Age of Innocence, The English Patient, and Legends of the Falls. Overall I thought Nyfes was a nice movie, had a wonderful cast, visually beautiful, and has potential.



Comments

  1. oh wow! kalo nemu DVD nya kabarin yah Dis aku juga pengeeen XD gak sempet nonton ni padahal gw juga ngincer si Kells ini kemarin :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Receiving

Upgrade Your Life

Hugging Meditation