The piano


I started playing the piano in second grade when I was living in virginia, taking lessons with an old woman in her 60s which name I can't seem to remember. But I do remember how she looked, pale wrinkled white skin, small brown eyes that glistened, and short brown curly hair, curly as Annie. She seemed to have this distinctive style, always wearing an a-line skirt just below the knee with a blouse tucked in, dark tinted stockings and a pair of 1 inch heeled prairie like shoes. She was strict with the lessons, but I remember her always being so sweet to me, and I especially loved the times when we would do our duets during the recitals.

I had about three other piano teachers after that as we moved from place to place and by the time I started high school in New York, I wanted to explore other instruments and came to play the alto saxophone. I was pretty good at it, and after a year I enrolled in the school's jazz band. Yes, I was your typical geek, excellent in math and joined the school band. But of course we had to move again and the alto sax-capade ended there.

After this move during high school, I went into my darker period, barely passed math, lossed interest in a future of finance, and stopped playing any kind of musical instruments completely eventhough it had been one of my true source of expression (next to writing and art). I miss it terribly.

Last year after a huge turnaround in my life arriving at my 'saturn return', I decided to start from scratch in the quest for self-discovery. I took sax lessons again. After about 8 classes I realized I couldn't breathe properly, being out of breath only after 10 minutes of playing. So then I decided, maybe I needed to start with living a healthier life by eating right and exercising regularly so I can breathe better...this hasn't happened...yet. I've tucked that intention away to be used someday in one of my "resolutions". For 2009 it stayed as a thouht so maybe in 2010 it will finally be realized? We'll just have to see (*_*)

Now I'm back to square one... what instrument should I learn? I thought maybe the guitar. I always dreamed being at a beach somewhere watching the sunset; me and a guitar surrounded with the likes of Jason mraz, Thom Yorke, Jack Johnson, José González, Dave Matthews, Sting, Justin Vernon and possibly Robert Pattinson there with me :D ...paradise!

Ok snapping myself back to reality... I realized throughout my life it's so often I would start something and after awhile loose interest, never following it through. Maybe this should be a resolution for me to become more focused by pursuing an instrument to it's very core...so I decided to go back to what I started in the beginning...yes the piano! I start lessons tomorrow...wish me luck :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Receiving

Upgrade Your Life

Hugging Meditation